In November of 1937, a group of local citizens joined together to form an organization to solve the problem of obtaining a prompt and efficient "First Aid and Ambulance" service to meet the needs of the sick and injured. By January of 1938 this group had completed their training and on January 7, 1938 the West Essex First Aid Squad answered its first call for help. Transportation of Squad members and patients was managed with the use of private automobiles.
In June of 1938, the Squad purchased its first ambulance from the Manasquan Rescue Squad. This ambulance was garaged in a barn on Bloomfield Avenue.
More to come: